Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Goals

Goal setting is easy, goal keeping is another story.  I always have grand plans but find it difficult to execute them because I get caught up in the busy that is my every day life.  For example, the paint swatches that are on a wall in my kitchen.  I have been wanting to paint this wall for a year, the paint swatches have been up for 6 months. 


 
The reason I want to paint this little area is two fold, one to cute it up a bit and two to cover Emily's artwork.  Yes, it says I love mom but still I'd like to have a place that isn't covered in her drawings. 



Things I have been doing lately instead of getting more organized/accomplishing projects/working on my preparedness and generally keeping grandiose goals:

Setting up a dinner for 32 kids from our ward and another ward for Mormon Prom (or MOPRO as the hep kids are calling it).  I may have gotten a little carried away:

 

 But these cuties are totally worth it.  David and his date Kristin on the right, Lauren and her date (I can't remember his name) and Ben and Calista on the left.  Such a fun group!! 


Chaperoning 2nd grade field trips to the Jungle Book Play with my favorite 2nd grader. 


 Watching my little energy ball hustle and fly at track meets. 



 
 
Planning an epic 20th anniversary trip by jointly reading guidebooks and watching Rick Steves videos with Dave.  My husbands little notes for me are hilarious!!  
 

 
Working in my yard and enjoying the beauty of Spring.
 
 
 
Laughing at Emily's awesome personality.  
 
 
 
Watching this girl compete at regional's, and win and then compete at State with her Women's 16 solo ensemble group.  They did awesome!!
 

Enjoying every minute of the last little one who is at home with me all day.  Next year he goes to pre-school and I will be sobbing so I am soaking in every second. 

 
When I really reflect on what matters I realize that having an immaculate, perfectly decorated home, accomplishing every task on my to-do list and other things do not matter.  What does matter are the 7 people that I love most in the world and I wouldn't trade these moments for anything.  I am so lucky to have them in my life. 
 
As one of my heroes Sister Marjorie Hinckley said, "I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully tailored clothes, with my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails.  I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp.  I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children.  I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden.  I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder.  I want the Lord to know that I was really here and that I really lived." 








 

No comments: