Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Day of School, First day of school....

Wake up wake up wake up!
This is our mini version of the german first day of school tradition. I will probably spell it wrong, but they are these GIANT funnels full of school supplies & treats that you can buy at the stores for the kids and parents give to their kids in Germany. I think it is spelled schulle tutte?? (Kristin correct me if I'm way off). I've made them for the kids the last few years with a special pen or pencil and some treats in them. This goes along with our back to school dinner which I let the kids pick out (pizza big surprise) and then of course fathers blessings to start off the year.

So...of course of first day of school can't start off without a story & excitement. David & Savannah started today, but Isabella's kindergarten doesn't start until tomorrow. She did not want to be left out of the fun of getting her hair fixed and getting pictures taken in her new outfit. And she wanted to have her pictures taken with Savannah since their outfits kind of matched. (I swear I do not match them on purpose all the time, usually they CHOOSE to match-which of course I LOVE).

So here are the gorgous kiddos all ready and excited for the first day of school. This was about 30 minutes before the bus comes...




Now with shades to add some hollywood glam...she poses everyone herself too-little miss bossy bossy!
David on the other hand is not excited about being taken away from his last few minutes of freedom for lame pictures...

So then Isabella says to everyone, okay get your backpacks so we can pretend to walk to the bus so mom can take pictures of all of us walking to the bus. The kindergarteners aren't even taking the bus to school this week and we still had about 20 minutes to go at this point but it is all about the perfect picture...

Definitely not happy...

la la la, she's bossing them around telling them which way to walk to get the perfect shot...
And now we actually do walk to the bus
They don't even turn around to wave goodbye anymore...
So then she goes in the house and changes so she can save her first day of school outfit for her real first day of school which is tomorrow...
Afternoon snacks must be grandma van cookies, the most divine cookies in the world.

I have to say, I love the excitement of fall and knowing my kids are growing and learning and having fun. But I always feel like a piece of my heart is missing when I see them walk on the bus that first morning and spend the first quiet day of the school year at home with the littles.

8 comments:

Kristin D. said...

I love that you have so many traditions to make each event and phase of life special. I need to be better about that. The little cone things are called Schultüte, you are good!!!!

Unknown said...

The kids are getting so big! And the girls' hair is so cute. I hope they had a good first day. And Isabella has a good one today. By the way I am coming over for cookies yumm!!

Deana said...

Yes I know the feeling. I have three in school and one at home. I miss the noise. I am getting used to the quiet. Your kids are so cute and getting so big.

Heidi said...

how fun! Savannah is so cute that is so funny she loves to pose.

Anonymous said...

I just want to know "what in the world is in those backpacks"? I love that you have continued a German tradition. Enjoy the Fall. Lori

anna said...

oooh sad! i mean, adorable! i mean, both! they are so beautiful and growing up so fast! but i mean, do they have to grow up??

Darsha said...

They just keep growing. They are so cute. I know what you mean about a piece of your heart missing. Darn kids make us mothers so sappy.

Lynn Lambert said...

Such cute pics. of all the kiddos. I might need the recipe to those divine cookies :)