Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Adieu to summer...

We love the Oregon Coast


To say goodbye to summer the right way we went on a fun Dyer family reunion to Seaside Oregon. I know what you're thinking... I already posted about a Dyer family reunion...but as I explained to my kids: There is the big dyer family, and the little dyer family and this was the first annual little Dyer family reunion. Just my parents, brothers & sister and their families. It was wonderful. We rented a beachhouse in a little town north of Seaside for Labor Day weekend and spent the time enjoying the beach, enjoying each others company, playing games and then...GETTING VIOLENTLY ILL. That's right...violently ill. Poor Dave came down with the worst case of the flu he has ever had since I have known him, that would be 13 years!! He was barfing, sweating with a fever, freezing with the chills. It happened on Monday so we were still able to enjoy the beach for 3 days before heading home a bit early, but I felt so bad for him. Usually I am the one getting sick so he has just been miserable.

But back to our reunion. My brother Scott is getting ready to go to BYU-I this week so it was a fun way to spend time all together before he left. We kept a picture of my brother Travis on the wall, since he couldn't leave his mission and all the responsibilities he has as the district leader for a WHOLE COUNTRY (Luxembourg-one of our favorite countries).

The kids loved playing together, and hardly fought at all. Too many m & m's were eaten by everyone, footballs were thrown, soccer was played and we had a fun time together. David learned to skimboard and loved it, Savannah even tried it with Rebecca a few times before getting in a bad spill and going back to just jumping waves and collecting seashells which (thankfully) did not end up coming home with us to add to our already too large collection. Benj fell in love with sand, and didn't get too much in his mouth. Bella wasn't feeling up to par so she spent most of the time either falling asleep in a chair, or digging in the sand. I love being together, I love the ocean & waves and being with my family so it was a perfect vacation.

And do you know what is better than going to church on vacation and feeling the spirit when you are far away from your own home & congregation? Going to church on vacation and seeing your awesome cousin there with her family, who is also far away from her home ward. Dyers Rock!! Dyer-Madsens do too!!


Ben & Grandma


Bella is not feeling her normal sweet self this weekend


Savannah is really into posing right now...so cute!


Using the cars as a windbreak-awesome-isn't bella's little swimsuit bum cute!!


Dave sleeping off a 4 am night of laughing with Scott-this was pre-illness

It looks like a herd of wild horses went through here...nope just a fun soccer match, you also can't see it well but the kids are skimboarding out there...David is on the left. I couldn't find my camera so all I have are so so phone photos from the weekend...oh well.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man that sucks! It's too bad but I am glad it wasn't until the end. I am sure you guys had a blast! I love the coast. It's the thing we wanted to do this summer that we didn't do.

Kjrsten said...

that was SOOOO funny! They say portland is a small town/big city, I am starting to believe it! Let's get together next week, what day works for you?

Dents said...

We love the Oregon coast too, we didn't make it out there this summer though :( cute pictures, I can't believe those were taken with your phone. The flu doesn't sound like fun. I hope that doesn't make its way through your family.
I am a mean mom too, I just can't handle the idea of a pet. Maybe we'll just stock our backyard with frogs. How was your kids first day of school? By the way, Mandi Jensen found my blog, I have her link on my page, it was fun to see what she has been up too, and also her sisters.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you have a blog. You would think your mom and I would have talked since your reunion, but we just need to sit down and visit. Looks like a great time, and so sorry about Dave.

Anonymous said...

Look how good you are - getting these up so quickly - and the photos from the phone turned out great! Sorry your family got sick and all - but it was fun up until then!!!!

Anonymous said...

What a fun memory of our trip to the beach. You are awesome.

Rebecca said...

What a great blogger you are keeping up to date with everything. You must blog while Benj is up in the night? The beach was lots of fun, and what an awesome first reunion!

Warren Caudle said...

We love the Oregon Coast, the most beautiful (mile per mile) in the world. I am so glad I saw your family in Germany last year. Now you have another child. Steph gave me your blog site so I will save it and peruse the pictures. Hope to see you soon in the NW. You know that Graf lives in Vancouver also? My love to you all - Warren Caudle aka "Radar"