Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oh My


I have been having so much fun watching the hummingbirds that come and visit our feeder we put on our balcony in July. Every day the kids get excited whenever they see one. I thought, well we have a bird feeder, let's put that one out too and then we can watch hummingbirds and birds.


Who knew I would be so into birds, although I guess it is in my DNA after all my dad loves to have bird feeders and watch what birds come, try to outsmart the squirrels, etc. And when my grandparents were on their mission in Temple Square one of my favorite memories is of visiting their apartment and my grandpa showing off the bird feeders he had hung for them to watch out their windows. He was so excited and we looked where he had hung them and it was on the fence to the family gravesite of the Kimball/Richards families-yep that's right as in the pioneer family graveyard.

Anyway, so we put another bird feeder on the deck and anxiously awaited birds, chickadees, beautiful bluebirds, a few crows...many other birds that I can't identify. All this we can see from the kitchen while I am puttering around or the kids are eating at the bar.

A few days ago the birds got so excited they knocked the poor hummingbird feeder over and it landed in a splat on the ground below. But I was having so much fun watching the other birds I didn't fix it right away.

Today I went out to tell one of the kid's friends it was time to go. They were playing outside, jumping on the trampoline. And I realized that when you have a congregation of birds on your deck...walking on the railing trying to get to your marvelously placed feeder...you get a lot of bird poop on your railing, and deck and YUCK!

Gone is the bird feeder, I guess I'll have to go to home depot and buy a stand to hang it on, somewhere far far away from my deck and patio furniture. And back will come my little hummingbird feeder, because hummingbirds don't leave visible traces of their presence everywhere, and they are really pretty too!

3 comments:

Deon said...

I love hummingbirds. My in-laws in Logan had a hummingbird nest on their front porch this summer. It was so cool watching the mommy sitting on her eggs and getting mad at us everytime we walked by. We started using a different door because she was stressing out so bad. She had two little babies that were so adorable.

Rebecca said...

I love all your blog posts Rachel! Especially the one about bums in the nw. ha ha. Although, I am not coming over the day you clean up bird poop.

Anonymous said...

I miss you and the kids, fall is so busy we never get together anymore. come over MOM