Friday, December 5, 2008

Decking the Halls

We have a tradition of putting up Christmas decorations the day after Thanksgiving. It always helped keep me in the holiday mood after spending Thanksgiving away from family-sometimes alone. And it is something that the girls REALLY look forward to, they love to help and find fun places to put everything. The last 3 Christmasses we have been in new homes (well new to us) so it is always an adventure finding the right place for the right special things.

This year, Thanksgiving vacation was marked with a lot of bickering and squabbling in our family...and putting up the decorations was NO DIFFERENT. So much bickering that I in a bout of frustration told the children I wanted to resign my post as mom for a while....which of course was really mean and I felt so bad. Especially after Savannah started to cry and said that she thought families were forever. We finally had to pull out the "Santa doesn't come to kids who are mean to their brothers & sisters" card which seems to have done the trick.

So needless to say it has taken a while for us to get the house ready for Christmas. We are getting our tree this week....we are going to a real tree farm to cut our own which is one of my favorite childhood memories. And the lights have yet to be put up on the outisde of the house. But the inside is done and it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas.

The stockings were hung...

My favorite holiday wreath...that has about seen its last days...the words say herzlich wilkommen which means hearty welcome and the church is a replica of the church where silent night was first played
Every day I find these trees in a new arrangement, Savannah and Isabella just can't agree on how they are supposed to go

My excuse for getting kisses all day long...

Bella stands under it and demands "someone come kiss me" at the top of her voice

This mantle still needs some fresh greenery from our tree.

Some of my nativity collection

My mom gave me this awesome advent this year because she knows how much we love advents. Doesn't it look like an old German house?

Can't post without pictures of the littlest...his face is changing every day, not looking so much like a baby anymore.

12 comments:

Kristin D. said...

I love all your decorations. The Advent house is my favorite.

Deana said...

Looks like your ready for Christmas. My girls love to decorate as well. It is nice to let them do some of it. It takes alot of the work out of it for me.Merry Christmas!

Mandi said...

ha ha! I cracked up over the story of Savannah...That was hilarious! I loved those trees, are those the one you made at your mom's in a previous post? kind of creepy that I would remember that in such detail isn't it? mwah ha ha!

Unknown said...

I love your advent house! And your right Benjamin is looking less and less like a baby. He's a cutie!

Heidi said...

Wow he looks like a little man now. How cute. That is so funny of Savannah and the mistletoe. Looks like your ready for Christmas looks good

Anonymous said...

It looks like you have a great view out the back of the house. It is never mean to keep the kids a little off balance. Control is very important. You have been up Hamilton Mt. when you were younger. It is just across hwy. 14 from beacon rock. It is a great hike for a young family, and absolutly beautiful.
Verne

Rebecca said...

I love the kissing ball. I need one for our house. Ben is so cute I just want to squeeze him!

Taffers Dawn said...

Love the decorations!!! Poor Savannah crying...haha. I just love your family!

Harold said...

Love the family pictures and the decorations. Where are the Larsen's?
I wish we could just move all the people we like around with us. Harold and I are still picking out our "Dream Ward" you guys are so on the list.

Kjrsten said...

holy smokes, so much fun going on over here at the kellers! you have been busy! I miss your comments over at my blog, now I know why! LOVE the new family photos! beautiful! And all the christmas decor up around your house, awesome! I just randomly found this link and thought you might want it, (spelling with flikr)
http://metaatem.net/words/

The Anthony Family said...

Rach... the new family pictures are great. You all look so good. I took almost four days to get the house decorated, but atleast it is done. I am working at a snails pace with my big belly. Oh well, happy holidays to you! Rebecca

Mindy Latteier said...

Your house looks so cute. I love the "World traveler" touch. I can't believe how big Ben is.