Sunday, October 12, 2008

An angel of mine...


Today Dave was watching the conference sessions he missed while he was flying home from Chicago. I was busy in the kitchen, cleaning up from lunch & breakfast but still listening again. While Elder Holland talked about angels in our lives today it made me think of one of my personal angels. My Grandmother Raquel was someone who I could always count on to lift me up. She has been gone for just over a year now and I know everyone who her life touched misses her deeply. There are so many things that remind me of her-from the cadence of Martha Stewart's voice (I know wierd huh) to the strains of Pachelbel or Pavarati, to a good book she continues to uplift and inspire me even from heaven. The other day I was reading a much beloved book while I waited for Isabella to get done with pre-school. I casually flipped open to the cover and remembered who I had gotten it from. In their dedication it says that "through reading I could travel the world". Miss you grandma!

8 comments:

Melani said...

That was so special. I was getting a little teary.

Unknown said...

That's so beautiful.

Jody said...

The picture is beautiful. I love all those old photographs. You've got a wonderful family, Rachel.

Kristin D. said...

I was on Mandi's blog and found yours. Hope you don't mind. I had heard that you had a new baby, but had yet to see pictures.

Rebecca said...

That is my favorite picture of Grandma. I've been thinking of her too.

Anonymous said...

Your thoughts made me remember how much I miss her too.

Kjrsten said...

I love her wedding photos and my absolute favorite was her engagement photo, remember that one, it was very audrey-style dress! I can't believe it has been only a year, it feels like a lifetime since I last saw her, I miss her SO! And that quote, about reading and traveling the world, she is so wise in everything she says and does! JUST A WONDERFUL WOMAN!

anna said...

i too love the wedding photo...as well as the engagement photo AND dont forget her "coming out" photo in the newspaper. gorg! she was so beautiful. even her handwriting was beautiful. i have been thinking so much about her lately, too. it's hard to think the rest of my life will really NOT have her in it.