Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Ten on USA Tuesday

Dave playing soldier in the desert 2004

I remember hearing (in my early college years) that I couldn't really appreciate American since I had never been outside of it. (From some uppity RM) Now, I don't necessarily agree with that philosophy, I think you can appreciate and love something without seeing other places, I mean I love my religion and I don't have to "try on" other religions to appreciate it, and for that matter, I don't think Dave would appreciate it if I "tried on" other husbands to find out if I really appreciated him. But I do think that when you live outside the US and when you or those you love serve in the military it does help to give a wonderful appreciation of America and the blessing of being an American, not better, just wonderful. So here is my list of 10...some are shallow some are deep...reasons why I LOVE my country.

1. Garbage disposals. Magical sounds, wonderful in the life of a busy mom who just wants to throw the cereal down the drain without having to bag it for recycling.

2. Drinking fountains with fresh water in them at parks. YUMMY! And glasses full of ice at restaurants.

3. Schools where the kids can learn about math, writing but also government. Schools where the pledge of alliegance is taught & said every day

4. People who give their lives for their country, through lives filled with service to their country, and some the ultimate sacrifice.
5. The ability to have dreams, and succeed at those dreams. America is a place where you can achieve anything through hard work and drive. Just look at all the people who have overcome their backgrounds, or started small and became huge because of their work, their efforts. Even a soccer mom from Alaska can run for VP! Just think what we all can do in our circle of influence.

6. Plush carpet-you just want to lay down with a blanket & take a nap in it!! (I told you some were shallow)

7. Variety...in stores, in food, in what sports you can play or what you want to be when you grow up. The choices here in America are unlimited.
8. The freedom to have your say on who you want to be your representatives for government, local, national. That is such a blessing, and you have only to look to the Book of Mormon to see what happens when we refuse to exercise our rights to choose our representatives, and give up our voice.
9. The sacrifices of those who went before us to found this country. Walking on those battlefields in the East is truly walking on holy ground and knowing of the way the Lord lead those men & women helps build our testimony of what a blessing it is to be here.
10.. Being able to express our beliefs freely, even if they differ from the masses or the ruling party. because of that freedom the gospel was able to be restored and flourish here, nowhere else could it have happened.
God Bless America.

5 comments:

seejd5 said...

That was wonderful! I am reading this as I am watching the election results. We don't know the end result at this time, but I am so grateful that I could vote and have a say. I agree, "God Bless America!"

Deon said...

Sorry, that was actually me. I put in the wrong info.

Kristin D. said...

I am watching Obama's acceptance speech right now and even though he scares me, I still am sooooo grateful to be an American. And for a lot of the same reasons you used too. Even the shallow ones.

Rebecca said...

Hear Hear to everything you said. But now I am going to go read Elder Uchtdorf's talk "The Infinite Power of Hope." Talk about prophecy, as were all the general conference talks.

Mandi said...

AMEN sista'...I'm proud to be an american.